Monday, May 26, 2008

Fishing

My one goal this Memorial Day weekend was to catch up on sleep and to get up early and go fishing. I suppose I accomplished both of these things. I definitely caught up on my sleep. I went fishing on two separate occasions. The first time was in the evening on Saturday night. I had the opportunity to hang out with my dad. I don't think I have ever been fishing with my dad and not caught a fish. It's the weirdest thing. He taught me everything I know about fishing: how to re-string a reel, how to tie the perfect unbreakable knot, how to hold them after you catch them so they won't make you bleed your own blood, etc.

Along with these necessities I also learned that fishing isn't just about catching fish. There are days when I have been able to cast within an inch of a fallen tree (The perfect cast) and not caught anything. Then there have been times when I accidentally cast behind my head and I caught one of the biggest fish in my life. That's what great about it. It isn't supposed to be a mentally tormenting and stressful activity. It's a peaceful time when you can let all of your troubles slide away, feel the sun on your neck, the slight breeze blow through your hair, and just relax. I'm not saying that it isn't frustrating from time to time, but one of the greatest things I learned from watching my dad fish was that I can fish for hours on end without getting a hit and still enjoy it.

I get a little upset from time to time when I fish with people who are only happy when they are "biting". I guess they just don't get it. I got up at 6:00 this morning and headed out to the lake with a couple of friends of mine. I never had a bite. I was just glad that each of them caught a couple of fish. The only thing that frustrated me was when they wanted to leave. I know it isn't their fault, but I had really been looking forward to this weekend of fishing.

I can't wait until the day when I am a father (or an uncle... Kristen) *wink wink* and I can pass on the subtle yet complex mysteries of life that are embedded in the pastime that is fishing.

p.s. My mom has caught a bigger bass than me and my dad, but don't tell anyone I told you. :)

2 comments:

valerie said...

Oh yeah, I did....and I'm sure I have an 8x10 of it somewhere???? :)
I'm so glad you and your dad had that time together. He love it too!
I'm glad you could come over to eat some fish aferward.
We love you and are proud of you!
Mom

valerie said...

* correction...."afterward" :)